Materials Lab Technician
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $53,046.00 - $63,651.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $53,046.00 - $74,256.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Public Works Materials Lab evaluates materials such as soils, concrete, and asphalt used in roadway and utility construction to ensure they meet the city's specifications. They review and qualify materials used in developer infrastructure improvements.
This posting is scheduled to close May 18th, 2021 at 5:00PM.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs field and laboratory sampling and tests on construction materials to determine the classification, engineering characteristics, strength and suitability of materials; calculates composition, tolerances, etc. for the purpose of ensuring the quality of construction materials by rejecting defective work and materials
- Communicates both orally and in writing on the findings of tests performed
- Performs site soil drilling, sampling, and identification for use in laboratory determination of soils engineering properties
- Provides detailed daily testing reports and reports or records of laboratory testing results; maintains appropriate records
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate's Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or a directly related field
- At least two (2) years of progressively responsible experience performing construction material testing related to the construction of civil engineering projects
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to the construction of municipal infrastructure and other city works
- ASTM and AASHTO field and laboratory testing standards and procedures related to soils, aggregates, concrete and asphalt
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Operate and interpret results of a Nuclear Moisture/Density Gauge
- Skill in the performance of testing procedures assigned to the position
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work which requires the ability to lift a maximum of 100 pounds, with assistance
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- A full range of body movements including pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling
- Foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle
- Vision to read plans, specifications, and testing and measuring equipment
- Frequent hearing and speech communication with employees, contractors, and citizens.
- Works indoors in a laboratory environment and outdoors in all weather conditions and over all types of terrain with some exposure to chemicals, dust, noise, traffic and moving construction equipment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.____________________________________________________________________
- Operates motor vehicle; drilling and field and laboratory test equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.