Open Space and Natural Resources Specialist
- Summary of Job Duties
**This posting is scheduled to close on December 21, 2018 at 12:00 noon, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides educational/interpretive programs assigned to the Open Space and Natural Resources Division of the Parks and Open Space Department
- Develops and presents educational, interpretive and outdoor learning programs and displays related to the natural ecosystems and wildlife common to Aurora and the Colorado High Plains area
- Works with individual users, school and community groups, and other interested parties to provide informational programs and volunteer opportunities
- Assists with development of curriculum guides, educational materials, and other resource guides.
- Coordinates with other PROS divisions to market OSNR naturalist-led programs.
- Coordinates naturalist team special events with partner organizations.
- Prepares and submits grant applications; supervises and coordinates the work activities of temporary and seasonal employees
- Performs routine maintenance on outdoor usage areas
- Assists with the marketing and programming of open space sites through participation in special events and other off-site programs
- Maintains and monitors various records including daily financial transactions for fees
- Prepares reports and perform administrative tasks such as purchasing and budget recommendations
- Assists in the hiring, training, and evaluation of temporary employees
- May be asked to perform resource improvement and routine maintenance activities
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in natural resources, natural environment, ecology, biology, or a directly related field.
- 2 years experience in development and presentation of interpretive/educational programs in an open space/natural resource setting and nature centers.
- Works with all ages and groups, including preschool children, adults with developmental disabilities, boy and girl scouts and other non-traditional groups as assigned. Teaches all Colorado Core requirements for science and natural resources.
- Knowledge of ecological principles and practices related to natural resource management; knowledge of development and presentation of educational, interpretive and outdoor learning programs, displays and brochures; knowledge of principles and practices of law enforcement as related to natural resource management.
- Ability to develop and present oral and written presentations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to utilize computer presentation software; works varied schedules that includes nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Strong interpersonal skills, problem-solving ability, and use personal computer use with related software.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary to moderate physical work; may require ability to lift up to a maximum of 50 pounds; may require lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 20 pounds; may require regular standing and walking; may require bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing; hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard and other office equipment; may require foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicle; vision to read reports and other written material; frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment; may require outdoor work with exposure to dust and noise. Will work in all weather conditions, including inclement weather.
- Personal computer; office equipment; and may require operation of motor vehicle.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Certification through National Association of Interpretation (preferred)
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.