Parks Crew Leader - Open Space Natural Resources
- Summary of Job Duties
The Open Space and Natural Resources division invites qualified applicants to apply for Parks Crew Leader within the City of Aurora. This position serves as lead worker over an assigned crew of maintenance workers engaged in maintenance activities at two reservoirs and special event set-up and tear down. The hours for this role are Saturday - Wednesday 6:30am - 3:00pm.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-served basis. As soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assigns and coordinates work
- Prepares and maintains records
- Prepares reports of work activities and documents equipment used
- Performs work and assists in coordinating logistics related to special events, tournaments and volunteer projects
- Manages information by recording information using computerized and manual methods
- Reports and assists in the investigations of accidents
- Makes recommendations regarding materials, manpower, and equipment used
- Enforces safety regulations and procedures
- Performs maintenance and repair work on facilities and properties
- Inspects work performed in conformance to established standards
- Makes recommendations regarding the selecting, hiring, training, evaluating, and disciplining of assigned employees
- Serves in supervisory capacity when needed
- Performs snow removal activities according to the City of Aurora's guidelines
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: High School Diploma or GED. Associates or Bachelor's Degree may be preferred depending on assignment.
Experience: At least 4 years' progressively responsible experience related maintenance, which includes 1 year in a lead worker or supervisory capacity.
A combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements on a year for year basis.
Knowledge: Knowledge of methods, materials, logistics, equipment, and operating procedures as well as the hazards and safety practices common to the maintenance work performed.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy; ability to organize, coordinate, and direct the work of others; able to perform minor repairs and maintenance on small equipment in the field.
Skills: Skill in training and monitoring the work of assigned employees. Skill in operation of equipment and tools common to this job; computer operation with associated software.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES REQUIRED: Class A Commercial Driver's License or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Working Conditions
Physical Demands: Moderate to heavy physical work depending on assigned function; heavy physical work requiring the ability to frequently lift up to 80 pounds with or without assistance and carry objects weighing up to 80 pounds; considerable walking and standing; frequently performs activities requiring a full range of body movement including pushing, pulling, bending, stooping/crouching, and climbing; considerable hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment and vehicles; speech communication to give instructions and information to employees; vision to read manuals and gauges and operate equipment; hearing/listening for instructions, troubleshooting, and warning signals.
Work Environment: Works primarily outdoors in both hot and cold weather with exposure to noise, dust, and chemicals.
EQUIPMENT USED: Operates a variety of hand and power tools and equipment common to maintenance and special event operations; operates vehicles such as dump trucks, tractors, utility vehicles and mowers._________________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.