Parks Maintenance Superintendent
- Summary of Job Duties
- **This posting is scheduled to close on Friday February 28, 2020 at 12:00 noon MST, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
The City of Aurora is looking for a motivated Parks Maintenance Superintendent for the Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces Department. As a superintendent you will plan, organize, coordinates, supervise, and direct maintenance, construction, and repair of City parks, facilities, greenbelts, and streetscapes for a major portion of the City for the Parks O&M Division of the Parks and Open Space Department.The Parks Operations & Maintenance division maintains our top-notch facilities; ball fields, parks, municipal facilities as well as the city medians.
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, assigns, and coordinates park operation functions through subordinate supervisors
- Oversees new construction projects
- Organizes park maintenance activities on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis
- Sets priorities and work tasks for area supervisors
- Resolves complex problems and conflicts arising during the course of the work
- Responsible for maintenance equipment as well as computerized irrigation controllers and irrigation hardware
- Maintains records on materials, manpower, and equipment used
- Provides instruction and training to subordinate personnel
- Implements plans, procedures, and work methods utilized by work unit
- Evaluates employee performance
- Checks work of subordinate supervisors and work unit to enforce division standards regarding quality and quantity of work and safety regulations and procedures
- Interviews prospective employees
- Makes recommendations regarding selection, promotions, and disciplinary action
- Inspects work in progress for conformance to standards
- Recommends, establishes, coordinates, and monitors operating budget and capital expenditures as well as manages daily expenses
- Makes service-level recommendations, coordinates with contractors on City projects, supervises and coordinates snow removal and ice control
- Resolves citizen complaints
- Coordinates work with other departments or agencies
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates Degree In in parks administration or a directly related field.
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in parks operations and maintenance (6 plus years preferred)
- 2 years supervisory experience (3 plus years preferred)
Knowledge: Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and operating procedures utilized in park operations and maintenance; hazards, and safety practices common to materials, machinery, and equipment utilized; knowledge of management practices for overall park maintenance, turf development and general knowledge of trees, shrubs and perennials.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; plan, organize, coordinate, and review the work of subordinates; read and interpret plans and specifications; and prepare cost estimates.
Skills: Strong interpersonal, organizational, and supervisory skills; computer operation.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, OR EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
- Driver's License with good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Light physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds; some lifting and carrying; regular walking and standing for inspection of work sites; vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents; some hand/eye coordination for operation of computer; foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicle for field inspections; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
Work Environment: Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to varying weather conditions, noise, chemicals, and dust.
Equipment Used: Personal computer with related software; motor vehicle._____________________________________________________________________________For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check Including Finger Printing, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.