Parks Worker - Open Space & Natural Resources
- Summary of Job Duties
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
This position will be required to work overtime when need along with emergency situations for snow removal. Normal work schedule includes weekends and most holidays, days off are during the week
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Parks Worker performs semi-skilled and unskilled manual labor and activities to maintain properties within the Open Space and Natural Resources Division. The Parks Worker assists the Parks, Recreation & Open Space (PROS) Department in fulfilling its Mission of "Encouraging active lifestyles and creating healthy environments for people, nature and community"
- Provides outstanding stewardship of Aurora's natural resources
- Completes routine maintenance and specialized maintenance programs for the Open Space and Natural Resources Division with emphasis on natural areas, specialty sites, trail systems and reservoir related properties along with undeveloped public lands and streetscapes
- Utilizes, adjusts, and maintains vehicles, tools, and equipment common to the functions required
- Performs daily janitorial functions
- Performs maintenance and repairs on sites and facilities
- Completes tasks related to event support
- Performs snow/ice removal and sanding according to City standards
- Assists in training and mentoring of temporary and seasonal workers, volunteers, and alternative service workers
- Handles complaints and concerns from citizens while in the field
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: At least 1 year of directly related manual and maintenance labor experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Basic knowledge of small engine powered equipment operation preferred. Basic knowledge of integrated pest management strategies preferred.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; perform manual labor for extended periods of time; understand oral and written instructions; operate or receive training on various types of maintenance, hand, and power tools and equipment.
Skills: Skill in the use of hand and power tools and open space/natural resource and maintenance equipment. Skill in the use of supplies and equipment safely and efficiently.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES REQUIRED:
- Colorado Driver's license with good driving record.
- Must be able to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver's License within 6 months of employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Heavy physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 80 pounds; frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds; considerable walking and standing; regular pushing, pulling, and bending; some hand/eye and foot/eye coordination to operate rototillers and other motorized equipment; hearing and listening for receiving and interpreting information and warning signals.
Work Environment: Regularly works outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions; regular exposure to dust, noise, and chemicals. Able to work in confined space. Chosen applicant must be available to work overtime and holidays in emergency situations including snow removal. Normal work schedule includes weekends and most holidays, days off are during the week.
Equipment Used: Hand and power tools and equipment common to maintenance. Hand-held mobile radio use is required.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.