- Summary of Job Duties
The salary range for this position is $19.80 - $27.72 Hourly.
The hiring range for this position is $19.80 - $23.76 Hourly.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovative workspaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Independently performs a variety of accounting and administrative support work in the preparation, verification, and maintenance of payroll and accounting records and reports for the Controller's Office of the Finance Department within established procedural guidelines and organizational policies and procedures.
- Processes payroll changes
- Calculates and reconciles wage assignments, child support orders, tax levies and worker compensation adjustments to ensure compliance with applicable regulations
- responds to courts, IRS, and related agencies
- Calculates manual paychecks and reversals
- Collaborates with departments to problem solve online leave issues/requests including reporting
- Reconciles and pays health, dental, disability and life insurances for City employees and retirees receives, processes, and reconciles insurance payments from outside agencies; creates payroll hour codes and definitions as needed
- Reconciles General Ledger Payroll holding accounts; prepares associated payroll journal entries
- Monitors and reconciles 457 deferred compensation accounts to ensure compliance with IRS regulations and upload files to vendors
- Provides guidance and support to departments regarding payroll distributes and balances payroll timecard batches
- supports the Payroll Administrator and Payroll Specialist with processing, and ensuring accuracy of bi-weekly payroll
- Creates and maintains spreadsheets to be used in financial management report analysis
- Processes monthly SSNVS transfer to ensure SSA compliance
- Completes special projects and reports as requested
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to mandated wage withholdings and general payroll processing
- Computerized accounting systems and personal computers including related word processing, and spreadsheet software applications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; maintain accurate financial and statistical records
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information related to payroll issues
- Strong interpersonal and technical skills.
- Skill in the use of personal computers including word processing, database, graphic, and spreadsheet software applications.
- May require skill in performing 10-key calculations by touch and efficiently and accurately key information using a keyboar
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school Diploma or GED.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Primarily sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing;
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate computer and office equipment
- Vision for reading, recording, and interpreting information, speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communications with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment.
- Frequently uses computer and standard office equipment including a 10- key calculator.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.