Physical Security Manager
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure.
This City of Aurora Public Works Department is looking for a Physical Security Manager who oversees and manages the physical security for all city-owned buildings and properties.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and recommend policy changes/new policy to enhance physical security for City owned buildings and properties;
- Assess buildings and properties for compliance with physical security policies;
- Develop scopes, estimates and recommendations to bring buildings and properties into compliance with physical security policies and audits;
- Respond to security incidents for City owned buildings and properties as appropriate;
- Manage contracts for custom protection officers and other security services.
- Under direction, respond to Council and City Management requests and inquiries;
- Respond to work order requests for projects related to physical security;
- Participate as a permanent member of Physical Security Steering Committee and subcommittees or task forces as assigned
- Assist and participate in emergency response exercises and events as needed.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Security Management, Business Administration or related field.
- A combination of a lesser degree with applicable experience will be considered.
- Minimum 5 years' experience as physical security manager, supervisor or officer responsible for security assessment and policy compliance for public buildings and properties.
- Additional minimum of three to five years experience practicing CPTED (Crime Prevention through Environmental Design.)
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of maintaining safe, compliant facilities
- Experience with emergency and crisis management across a variety of situations
- Experience with contract negotiations concerning vendors and budgeting
- Adept at implementing policy updates to improve upon the safety of facilities and staying current with emergency technologies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens and elected officials
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives
- Direct and effectively supervise other employees
- Administer budgets
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, decision-making, and managerial skills
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
- Vision to read gauges and instructions and operate equipment
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.