Project Engineer - Capital Transportation Projects
- Summary of Job Duties
The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department is seeking a skilled Project Engineer to coordinate, manage, and perform complex professional engineering work to support design and construction of capital transportation projects. The successful Project Engineer candidate will be responsible for scoping and managing the design of simple to complex roadway widening and intersection improvement projects, both in-house and through contracts with consultants. Other duties and responsibilities are outlined below.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-served basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs systems and prepares project plans and specifications
- Reviews, evaluates, and revises engineering plans and specifications
- Plans, reviews, develops, and coordinates the design and construction of complex utility, roadway, and drainage projects from project conception to completion, including coordination with various federal, state, and local government agencies
- Develops criteria and designs for complex engineering projects
- Prepares cost estimates, specifications, and procurement documents
- Performs detailed analysis of engineering project data to develop long-term capital funding plans for improvements and efficiencies
- Responds to citizen complaints and inquiries regarding transportation-related issues
- May represent the engineering section of Public Works at public hearings, homeowners association, and planning pre-application meetings
- May review general development, site, civil construction, and drainage plans, and plats for conformance to annexation agreements, city code ordinance, and roadway, drainage, and urban drainage requirements
- Monitors and controls construction progress and expenditures
- Plans, develops, and implements process and customer service enhancements to the capital project protocol
- Perform other duties assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree, from an accredited institution, in civil/transportation engineering or related field
- At least five (5) years experience in municipal engineering work
- Considerable knowledge of current engineering principles and practices applicable to municipal engineering projects
- Local, state and federal laws and regulations related to the assigned function
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Make decisions and solve complex technical problems
- Interpret codes and criteria
- Use computer design software in engineering projects design and review
- Work effectively with other employees, outside agencies, contractors, and citizens
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Skills in the use of field and office engineering instruments and equipment including a personal computer and related software
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil 3D is preferred
Licenses and Certificates:
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado
- Or the ability to obtain through reciprocity from another state within six (6) months of employment
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard and engineering instruments
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle for field investigations
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with frequent outdoor work for field investigations.
- Personal computer, engineering instruments; electronic components; motor vehicle.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies