Project Engineer/Senior Engineer - Transportation Project Delivery
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.Project EngineerThe hiring range for this position is $73,120.00 - $97,843.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $73,120.00 - $106,092.00 AnnuallySenior EngineerThe hiring range for this position is $84,561.00 - $113,152.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $84,561.00 - $122,674.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure. They are looking for a Project Engineer to plan, review, coordinate, and perform complex professional engineering work to support the engineering services function of the Public Works Department under the supervision of the Transportation Projects Delivery Manager.
This opening within the Transportation Project Delivery (TPD) Division represents an opportunity with diverse responsibilities that are typically different from one day to the next. Staff members are tasked with guiding transportation projects from concept to completion, working through shifting priorities, and using their abilities to solve complex problems. It’s necessary to draw from technical knowledge, but also to have strong communication, collaboration and drive to always learn new skills.*All applications must include a Cover Letter and Resume.*The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-served basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs systems and prepares project plans and specifications related to assigned function
- Reviews, evaluates, and revises engineering plans and specifications
- Manages design consultants and construction contractors
- Design and engineer of record for transportation projects as assigned
- Coordinates with various federal, state and local agencies regarding general development activities
- Prepares cost estimates, specifications, and procurement documents
- Responds to citizen inquiries regarding transportation related projects
- Monitors and controls construction progress and expenditures
- May perform detailed analysis of engineering project data to develop long-term capital funding plans for improvements and efficiencies
- May represent engineering section of Public Works at public hearings, homeowners association and planning pre-application meetings
- May review general development, site, civil construction and drainage plans, and plats for conformance to annexation agreements, city code ordinance, and roadway, drainage, and urban drainage requirements
- May act as a team leader for design engineers, technicians and other support personnel
- May plan, develop and implement customer service enhancements to the infrastructure planning and review process
- Perform other duties assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in civil/transportation engineering or a directly related field
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- At least three (3) years experience in engineering of transportation systems
- Municipal engineering experience is preferred
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and theories of transportation and civil engineering
- Local, state, and federal laws and regulations related to assigned function
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Make decisions and solve complex technical problems
- Interpret codes and criteria
- Use computer design software in engineering projects design and review
- Work effectively with other employees, outside agencies, contractors, and citizens
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Skills in the use of field and office engineering instruments and equipment including personal computer and related software
- Experience with Autodesk Civil3D design software is preferred
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required:
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado or ability to obtain in 6 months, or ability to obtain reciprocity from another state
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard and engineering instruments
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Foot/eye coordination to operate motor vehicle for field investigations
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with some outdoor work including exposure to varying weather conditions, noise and dust, and traffic
- COVID19 Working Conditions: This position is currently designated as one which works from home for the majority of its duties. This designation is subject to change.
- Personal computer, engineering instruments; electronic components; motor vehicle
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies