Public Information Officer
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $56,538.00 - $69,210.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $56,538.00 - $81,883.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Department
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
Under the direction of the Manager of Public Relations for Aurora Water, the Public Information Officer develops comprehensive public information, media relations, social media and community engagement programs to promote and provide information about Aurora Water, an enterprise utility for the City of Aurora, to customers, citizens, and the media, with special emphasis on community relations and social media platforms. This position will also coordinate special event needs and projects for the Manager of Aurora Water Public Relations.This position is set to close June 17th, 2021 at 5pm.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Writes, edits, and assists in developing newsletters, brochures, social media posts and content for collateral materials
- Works with city graphics and printshop on collateral design and layout
- Develops and implements communications strategies both internally and externally
- Develops and maintains media relationships and promotes media opportunities
- Researches and writes articles for trade publications
- Responds to media inquiries and develops media strategy as assigned
- Composes and distributes news releases and assists in setting up news conferences and briefings
- Monitors and updates the departmental pages on the City's Web site using third party content management system (CMS)
- Compiles and develops informational literature, press releases, and other items to promote understanding of the department operations
- Develops and maintains a departmental file management and database system
- Maintains press clippings and documents? and performs additional duties as assigned.
- Scheduling, planning, and promoting department involvement in city events
- Represents the department through participation in organizations, committees, and intergovernmental activities
- Manages various workflow processes? and performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor's Degree in English, journalism, communications, or a directly related field.
- At least 3 years' experience in public affairs, public/media relations, or communications
- At least 1 year of experience in a public sector environment preferred
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public and media relations, media communications, and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and NextDoor.com)
- Knowledge of graphic art and production of publications
- Knowledge of audio visual and video equipment? personal computers and related software applications
- Strong understanding of metro area media market
- A general knowledge of western water issues and municipal government
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens, and media
- Handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Make public presentations
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, writing and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer/technology skills, especially in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media platforms. Adobe Creative Suite a plus
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES OR EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
- Driver's license with a good driving history is required
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light work that involves moving no more than 20 pounds at a time
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
- Vision to read gauges and instructions and operate equipment
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment; sometimes works nights and weekends
- Standard business and professional tools and equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.___________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.