Public Safety Property Technician
- Summary of Job Duties
*This is a repost and will stay active a minimum of 2 weeks or until a suitable candidate is found, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. If you have applied for this position within the last 6 months, please do not reapply as your application will not be considered. Thank you.*
The Aurora Police Department: Business Services Division is looking for a Property Technician to perform a variety of clerical duties and highly visible public contact work with the receipt, processing, and maintenance of the chain of custody for evidence, found property, and personal property for the Police Department.
The entry level hiring range for this position is: $21.69 - $23.84
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Vision of the Aurora Police Department is to be the safest largest city in America. In 2014 we moved one step closer to our vision by being named the Safest Largest City in Colorado and the 16th overall safest city in the nation. Within the Aurora Police Department there are four separate divisions: Operations; Metro; Compliance and Professional Standards; and Business Services and employees over 800 Civil Service and Career Service employees whose mission is to Make Aurora Safer Every Day.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
To be employed by the Aurora Police Department you will need to successfully pass a background check, polygraph test, and fingerprint screening, along with other conditions of employment; drug test and verification of employment. Because of this, there is a longer recruitment process, we thank you in advance for your patience.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Incumbents follow record, property, and evidence dissemination, storage and disposition laws, policies, and procedures
- Maintain, modify, and update multiple databases in local, state and national computer systems
- Compose and dispatch messages to law enforcement agencies
- Incumbents may intake, record, and log property and evidence
- Enter information into computer system and perform quality control on officer entries
- Prepare evidence for storage
- Maintain chain of custody in processing evidence or police records
- Transport property and evidence to and from various locations such as court, warehouse, Regional Lab, CBI, and various police locations
- Release evidence, property and police records to officers, attorneys, and the public
- May testify in court to verify evidence-handling procedures
- Maintain security of property/evidence and police records at Police Headquarters and at off site locations
- Work with courts and investigators to ensure timely disposition of evidence and property
- Process and prepare property for disposition/destruction
- Handle firearms, narcotics, drugs, and monies collected
- Prepare items for auction
- Destroy property and evidence according to policies and procedures
- Safe operation of Scissor Lift
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- At least 1 year of office or customer service experience
- Experience with a Scissor Lift
- Experience working in a judicial or law enforcement environment
- Advance computer knowledge and skills
- Warehouse experience
- Knowledge of law enforcement and legal terminology; and Police inventory system
- Ability to handle stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform data entry functions
- Ability to be on call and work evenings, weekends, holidays and mandatory overtime if required
- Ability to remove and place property 14' high with use of ladder or scissor lift
- Strong analytical and customer service skills
- Typing and keyboarding skills
- Valid Driver's License (if selected will need to provide a current MVR - Motor Vehicle Report)
- Notary Public
- CCIC/NCIC certification required within 6 months of hire
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Ability to remove and place property items up to 14' off the ground with the use of a ladder, step stool, or scissor lift
- Moderate physical work with lifting up to 50 lbs. with or without assistance
- Constant bending and climbing ladders
- Memory to retain updated technical tasks; uses resources when unsure and Lead or Supervisor is not available
- Judgement to ensure confidential information remains protected
- Exposure to cold climates
- Exposure to strong smells at times
- Exposure to dusty and noisy warehouse environment
- Flexible schedule working evenings, weekends, holidays, swing shift and/or mandatory overtime
- Personal Protective Equipment is available for the occasions when Property Technicians may or could be working in close proximity to, handling, or destroying packaging or contents that possibly contain bio hazardous substances
- Use of standard office equipment that includes a computer system
- Use of a scissor lift and ladder
- Will drive a van or heavy duty truck
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.