Recreation Assistant - Fitness & Wellness ACAA
- Summary of Job Duties
- The city of Aurora is seeking a Recreation Assistant for the Fitness and Wellness programs at the Aurora Center for Active Adults. They will perform a variety of tasks to coordinate, develop, market and implement programs, services, and resources for the Aurora Center for Active Adults in the Recreation Division of the Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department. Plans, coordinates and implements adult programming and oversees the supervision of program staff and participants.
At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our work by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service. We welcome all who share these values to apply.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervision (40%)
- Direct supervision of approximately 20 temporary fitness instructors
- Recruit, interview, select, train, evaluate, schedule instructors
- Provide daily guidance and problem solving
- 1st and 2nd approvals of temporary e-time and statement to pays - bi-monthly
- Verify and track instructor certifications - ongoing as they expire
Program Operations (25%)
- Develop, program and implement drop-in classes
- Develop, program and implement fee based classes
- Coordinate Personal Training, Massage and Reflexology
- Program maintenance includes: schedule and book classes in the registration system, set fees in compliance with COA's policies, follow budget guidelines, track registrations and attendance, cancelations and profit/loss for classes
- Perform annual fee evaluations
- Identify trends and program new activities
- Respond to customer concerns and suggestions, either face to face, by telephone or email
- Promote programs using flyers or other forms of marketing materials
- Evaluate classes using survey monkey for outcome measures
- Coordinate with participants and trainer to set up fitness assessments
- Collaborate and maintain working relationships with community partners for program development
- Substitute instructor as needed
Weight Room (25%)
- Research and recommends purchase of weight room equipment and other fitness supplies
- Maintain fitness equipment, flat screens and schedules quarterly maintenance
- Maintain orientation schedule
- Work the weight room floor, interact with customers, and provide guidance for participants as needed.
- Coordinate supply order of gym wipes and cups
Other Duties (10%)
- Assist with front desk coverage and opening and closing of facility when needed
- Manage emergency situations such as 911 calls, employee accidents, ADA issues
- Maintain certification of CPR/AED/1st Aid
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: Associates degree in recreation, gerontology, travel industry, or a directly related field. BA in recreation preferred.
Experience: At least 2 years recreation, leisure services, and planning experience. At least 2 years supervisory experience. Prefer experience working with senior adults.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of recreation program development and administration.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens and community businesses; handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; coordinate, schedule, and instruct recreation programs; coordinate and oversee the work of others; work nights and weekends.
Skills: Strong interpersonal skills; skill in use of computer with related software.
Licenses, Certificates, Equipment required: Colorado Driver's License with good driving history. First Aid, AED and CPR certified, or the ability to obtain within six months of hire. This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- Working Conditions
Physical Demands: Sedentary to moderate physical work depending upon assignment; may require ability to lift up to a maximum of 50 pounds; may require lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 20 pounds; may require regular standing and walking; may require bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing; hand/eye coordination for operation of computer; may require foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicle; vision to read reports and other written material; frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
Work Environment: Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment; may require outdoor work with exposure to dust and noise.
Equipment Used: Personal computer with related software applications; may require operation of motor vehicle.