Recreation Coordinator - Aquatics
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
- Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces Department's vision is to connect with the community and be acknowledged as an essential service defining the quality of life in Aurora by encouraging active lifestyles and creating healthy environments for people, nature, and the community. The Recreation Division provides fun recreational programs and facilities for all ages aimed at improving the overall physical and mental health of Aurora's Citizens.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The City of Aurora is seeking a full time, highly motivated and talented individual to perform a variety of tasks to coordinate the development and implementation of programs, services and resources at an indoor swimming pool complex for the Recreation and Leisure Services Division of the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Oversees and regulates the monthly inservice for the pool
- Evaluates all inservice to the standard and ensures all staff complete inservice before the end of the month
- Oversees swim lessons to include attendance numbers, staff performance, and program evaluation
- Coordinates the development and implementation of aquatic programs and other recreational activities
- Lifeguard and Swim Instructor hiring, training, scheduling, overseeing and evaluating
- Oversees the safety of all programs, patrons, and staff; monitors and schedules program services and facility maintenance
- Performs regular lifeguard and instructor audits on all staff
- Schedules and oversees activities of temporary employees and/or volunteers
- Participates in promotional and marketing activities
- Coordinates and schedules facility usage
- Monitors and orders staff uniforms and other program related clothing
- Coordinates with community schools, groups, and organizations
- Performs administrative tasks such as record maintenance
- Monitors swim lesson revenues
- Assists in training, assigning, and evaluating temporary employees
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree **
- At least 1 years of aquatics experience including supervision of a multi-faceted program, responsibility for operating and maintaining the physical plant and supervising pool staff.
* *An equivalent combination of training and experience and certifications may be considered.
- Knowledge of aquatic programs and swimming pool operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Coordinate, schedule, and instruct recreation programs
- Coordinate and oversee the work of others
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Strong interpersonal skills.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES REQUIRED:
- Lifeguard/CPR-PR AED
- WSI (Water Safety Instructor)
- CPO/AFO (Preferred)
- Lifeguard Instructor Trainer (Preferred)
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving record.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light to moderate physical work
- May require ability to lift up to a maximum of 50 pounds
- May require lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Regular standing, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer system
- Vision to read reports and other written material
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works in an indoor pool complex with exposure to noise and chemicals used for swimming pool maintenance.
- Equipment and machinery associated with the operation of a swimming pool including pumps, filters, valves, heaters, chemical feed, and monitoring equipment and associated maintenance equipment
- A computer system
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.