Recreation Specialist - Moorhead Recreation Center
- Summary of Job Duties
Hiring pay for this position is $48,204 - $57,781 annually
Full salary range for this position is $48,204 - $67,357 annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspace
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Recreation Specialist is engaged through challenging assignments, opportunities to grow programs according to the needs and desires of the Citizens of Aurora, and the ability to grow valuable, lasting relationships in a dynamic work environment.
This position will be required to work nights and weekends
- Stays current with trends in the Recreation industry to ensure that Citizens of Aurora are offered superior options to meet their varied needs
- Leads by example to ensure excellent customer service for drop-in customers at the recreation centers and participants in the City of Aurora programs by establishing high customer service standards for staff and ensuring a high level of accountability to meet those expectations.
- Oversees front desk supervision and operations of the assigned facility that provides recreation programming and rental opportunities to citizens
- Assists in the supervision of subordinate staff, volunteers
- Assists in the selection, assignment, training, direction, scheduling, and monitoring of staff duties; evaluates employee performance and initiates disciplinary actions when needed.
- Assists in the appropriate training of employees in assigned areas of responsibility; conducts in-service training programs.
- Works collaboratively with other departments.
- Performs routine facility maintenance inspections and ensures repairs are completed as needed.
- Responsible for supervising and coordinating logistics for facility rentals, including, but not limited to, providing tours and information to prospective renters, and implementing details outlined in rental agreements to ensure events are properly executed with optimal satisfaction.
- Is responsible for proper setup and takedown of rental space.
- Assist in monitoring inventory, ordering supplies, maintain purchase records. Ensures all purchases meet city policy.
- Manages fee collection, accounting activities, and program registration in assigned areas; reviews records and files to ensure proper accounting and documentation consistent with Recreation policies and procedures.
- Assists with Recreation special events as needed.
- Provide a variety of general information to the public regarding parks and recreation operations and programs; respond to questions and resolve complaints as needed.
- Observe necessary precautions to assure general public safety; inspect facilities for safety and maintenance needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor's Degree in recreation or field related
Experience: 3 years of experience related to area of assignment
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of recreation programs, youth development, outdoor education, nutrition, general knowledge of reservation systems, cash handling, and computer software applications.
Abilities: The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens and private organizations. The ability to respond to customer inquiries and complaints in a timely manner. The ability to motivate staff, create a positive work environment, and hold staff accountable for achieving measurable goals and developing their skills. The ability to handle sensitive and stressful situations with tact and diplomacy? communicate effectively both verbally and in writing? ability to recognize, analyze, and implement needed organizational systems.
Skills: Skill in the use of cash registers, credit card machines, personal computers, strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Strong customer service skills.
Licenses, Certificates, and/or equipment required: In order to be successful in this position, applicants must have the ability to obtain a Colorado Driver's License with a good driving record. May require additional certifications related to assigned function. You will have to occasionally use your own personal equipment (i.e. Vehicle, cell phone, laptop, tools, etc.) during the course of your employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Light physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds
- Some lifting, carrying, walking, and standing to set up for facility programs
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate office equipment
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written material
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works in a recreation center facility.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
______________________________________________________________________Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment histories, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.