Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- The Planning & Development Services Department is a multi-faceted, exceptionally active department that provides a broad array of municipal services, with major programs including: Department Administration, Urban Renewal, Business Services, Development Services, Multimodal Transportation Team, and Planning.
The City of Aurora is looking for an experienced Planner to act as Case Manager for land use applications; perform professional planning work to support the operations and functions of the Zoning & Development Review Division.
Depending on qualifications, the candidate will be hired as either a Senior Planner I or a Planner II.
As a City of Aurora employee you will have access to many of our benefits such as competitive wages, health, dental and vision, personal time off and internal educational programs to help further your career.
At the city of Aurora, we value integrity, respect, professionalism and customer service as those core values and we attribute those values to our success as an organization, both as an employer and a servant of the community. If you hold these same values, we welcome you to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs all Case Manager duties for land use applications, including assisting applicants, consulting with city personnel and outside organizations and community groups
- Manages schedules and database entries, case research, report preparation, and presentations to the Planning Commission and City Council
- May also perform planning functions including technical research, field surveys, site inspections, interpreting land use regulations to the public
- Prepares graphic presentations and exhibits, drafting proposed ordinance changes
- Other additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in urban or regional planning or a directly related field.
- Master's degree preferred.
- At least 3 years' progressively responsible planning experience;
- prefer experience in development review case management including presentations to commissions and councils and neighborhood liaison work
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning
- Local, state, and federal laws governing planning and land use
- Codes, policies, and procedures
- Project management
- Personal computers with related software including word processing
- Specialized knowledge in areas such as landscape or architectural design, real estate development, transportation planning, or GIS desirable.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and citizens.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Analyze and compile technical information and reports.
- Make presentations.
- Assesses needs, questions, and services and defers to the appropriate staff for further information.
Skills: Strong interpersonal, analytical, and presentation skills.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES OR EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
- Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners preferred.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Vision for data analysis and preparation
- Dexterity to operate computer system and other related equipment
- Endurance sufficient to sit and work at a computer for long periods of time
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
Work Environment: Works in a clean, comfortable environment.
Equipment Used: Uses standard office equipment including a personal computer system.__________________________________________________________________________For Veteran's points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E. Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.