Senior Small Business Specialist
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The city of Aurora provides services and resources to businesses and development partners with the purpose of retaining, attracting and expanding business and employment opportunities throughout our community. The Development Services Division includes Urban Renewal, Retail Assistance, Economic Development and the Aurora-South Metro Small Business Development Center.
The Senior Small Business Specialist reports through the Economic and Business Development Supervisor to provide professional support and assistance to existing and start-up businesses as part of the Aurora-South Metro Small Business Development Center (SBDC), in order to promote business and employment opportunities.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in developing and presenting a variety of small business related workshops
- Provides one-on-one business counseling on financial issues
- Provides loan packaging and business plan development services for the purpose of assisting in start-up and securing financing for businesses
- Assists in identifying, developing and maintaining sources of capital formation
- Coordinates small business services between small business and the City
- Provides information and assistance to small businesses regarding retention and attraction programs
- Works cooperatively with local agencies and organizations on general small business matters and general economic development programs
- Performs operational and financial analysis on client businesses and recommends business and system improvements to assist with long-term profitability
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor's degree in business administration, finance, accounting or a directly related field.
Experience: At least 3 years of experience as a small business owner or operator including experience with commercial lending, cash management or business technical assistance experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities in business start-ups, financial analysis and loan packaging may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of the principles, practices and operating requirements of launching and running a small business; business plan design and development; commercial lending; small business loans and financing. Facility with spreadsheet applications, accounting and financial software packages.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens and elected officials; Ability to develop and maintain relationships with financial institutions; handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Skills: Strong interpersonal skills.
Licenses, Certificates, Or Equipment Required: This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment. Completion of SBDC Network Consultant certification preferred, but must be able to achieve certification within the first 3 months of the introductory period. (passing 5 online modules).
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing; regular set up of training tables and chairs; vision for reading and interpreting information, speech communication and hearing to maintain communications with employees and clients.
Work Environment: Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment.
Equipment Used: Uses standard office equipment including a personal computer system.______________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.