Senior Small Business Specialist
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The city of Aurora provides services and resources to businesses and development partners with the purpose of retaining, attracting and expanding business and employment opportunities throughout our community. The Development Services Division includes Urban Renewal, Retail Assistance, Economic Development and the Aurora-South Metro Small Business Development Center.
The Senior Small Business Specialist reports through the Economic and Business Development Supervisor to provide professional support and assistance to existing and start-up businesses in concert with the Aurora-South Metro Small Business Development Center (SBDC), in order to promote business and employment opportunities.
**This posting will also be used to fill a consultant position.***The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.*
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in developing and presenting a variety of small business-related workshops
- Provides one-on-one business counseling on general business development, start-up and growth topics
- Provides business plan development services to assist start-up and existing businesses as well as those looking to secure financing.
- Coordinates business services between small businesses and the City of Aurora.
- Assists in identifying, developing and maintaining business resources for use by clients and business team
- Works cooperatively with local agencies and organizations on general small business matters and general business development programs.
- Recommends business and system improvements to assist with long-term profitability in the areas of business management, operations, marketing, and finance
- Performs operations and marketing analysis on client businesses and recommends business and system improvements to assist with long term profitability
- Records client data entry and economic impact
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor's degree in business administration, marketing, communications or a directly related field.
Experience: At least 3 years of experience as a small business owner or operator including experience with business operations, marketing and finance. Has some experience as a business technical assistance advisor and business instructor. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities in business start-ups, and business planning may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of the principles, practices and operating requirements of launching and running a small business; business plan design and development. Proficient with the use of technology, such as Microsoft packages, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, and financial software packages.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens and elected officials; Ability to develop and maintain relationships with community resources; handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Skills: Strong interpersonal skills
Licenses, Certificates, Or Equipment Required:This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment. Completion of SBDC Network Consultant certification preferred, but must be able to achieve certification within the first 3 months of the introductory period. (Must pass 5 online modules).
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing; regular set up of training tables and chairs; vision for reading and interpreting information, speech communication and hearing to maintain communications with employees and clients.
Work Environment: Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment.
Equipment Used: Uses standard office equipment including a personal computer system.______________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.