- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
Aurora Water Department
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, assigns, and coordinates the work activities through subordinate supervisors and/or employees
- Resolves complex problems and conflicts arising during the course of the work
- Maintains records on materials, manpower and equipment used
- Provides instruction and training to subordinate personnel
- Implements plans, procedures and work methods utilized by work unit
- Evaluates employee performance
- Checks work of subordinate supervisors and work unit to enforce safety regulations and procedures
- Interviews prospective employees
- Makes recommendations regarding selection, promotions and disciplinary action
- Coordinates preventive maintenance programs
- Inspects work in progress for conformance to standards
- Prepares budget and monitors expenditures
- Provides technical oversight or expertise to the assigned Storm Water area
- Maintains and ensures the accuracy of the maintenance management program
- Gives presentations for informational purposes
- Serves as a member of boards and committees
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates Degree related to area of assignment
- Bachelor's Degree is preferred
- Five (5) years of experience related to the area of assignment
- Two (2) years supervisory experience
- Knowledge of methods, principles, practices, materials and operating procedures common to Storm Water Operations; and hazards and safety practices common to utility maintenance and construction.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Plan, organize, coordinate and review the work of subordinates
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Prepare cost estimates
- Ability to work call back and emergency responses
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and supervisory skills
Licenses and/or Certificates required:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- Ability to Obtain: Class I Water Distribution Certification OR a Class I Collection Certificate within departmental guidelines. State of Colorado Pesticide Applicator certification (Qualified Supervisor (QS) level)
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light to moderate physical work requiring the ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Regular walking and standing to oversee projects
- Some pushing, pulling, bending, stooping/crouching and climbing to inspect work sites
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of equipment and vehicles
- Vision to read reports, manuals, written materials, instruments and gauges
- Speech communication, hearing and listening for communications, supervision and training of employees and communications with citizens
- Works both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to dust and noise, and may encounter fumes from certain chemicals.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.