- Summary of Job Duties
***This posting is scheduled to close on April 14th, 2021 at 12:00 noon, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you***
All applications must include a Cover Letter and Resume
Salary to commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $56,538 - $81,883 Annually
The salary range for this position is $56,538 - $69,210 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
OVERVIEW OF POSITION / DEPARTMENTThe Tax Audit function works to ensure compliance with the city’s tax codes by auditing businesses to provide taxpayer education and to recapture lost revenues. Tax Auditors must balance their compliance and enforcement function while also providing customer service and education. Working with the business community auditing sales and use taxes can be rewarding and sometimes less adversarial than other types of tax auditing. This position provides a unique opportunity compared to other careers in accounting. A tax auditor works in an investigatory role that has a direct impact on providing resources for the city to provide critical services. The city’s tax audit function is supportive with low turnover and experienced teammates. This position is available as an entry level opportunity to talented individuals who may be recent graduates and individuals with direct tax audit experience will be considered for a higher career level.
This position is one of three new positions as the Tax Audit function is expanding by 30%. The expansion of the division is occurring as the Tax Audit function provides education and enforces compliance with the City’s tax codes, primarily sales and use tax. The city of Aurora is a self-collected home rule city.
The tax audit team is currently working remotely and is expected to be a primary a remote working team for the foreseeable future even after the conclusion of the pandemic. The candidate must live and Colorado and be able to report to the Aurora municipal center within short notice and to be able to commute to work in the future should the remote working arrangement be terminated.
Tax Audit Function of the Tax and Licensing Division
The Tax and Licensing Division of the City of Aurora Finance Department is responsible for the collection of 77% of the city’s General Fund revenue which is around $290 million per year. Most of this revenue is from the city’s Sales and Use tax. The City of Aurora is a home rule jurisdiction which sets its own sales and use tax code and is also self-collected
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Conducts tax audits and compliance reviews of individuals and firms doing business in Aurora to determine compliance with the City tax ordinance and to recover revenues through audits, education, and assessments.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises and consults with businesses concerning tax audits for sales, use, lodgers, and occupational privilege taxes
- Advises and consults with businesses concerning City tax codes; presents evidence and testimony when needed; perform field audits, examining taxpayers’ records
- Recommends tax accounting procedures
- Assists taxpayers in the filing of returns by answering questions regarding the Aurora tax code
- Reviews audits when assessments are contested
- Reviews business operations to advise businesses of potential tax liability situations
- Teaches tax requirements and reporting requirements
- Assists in developing and implementing major projects as they pertain to audit
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting
- At least 1 year auditing experience as a public auditor of individuals and businesses.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of auditing and personal computers including related software applications
- Knowledge in sales and use tax desirable.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing; and perform audits
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, and negotiating skills
- Advanced skill and proficiency in the use of computers including spreadsheet and word processing software applications.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light work lifting no more than 20 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Occasional walking and standing.
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment.
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents.
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction.
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals.
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment.
- This position may require the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.