Tax Technician I - Tax & Licensing
- Summary of Job Duties
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
The Tax & Licensing Division of the City of Aurora Finance Department is looking for a Tax Technician I to perform a variety of reasonably complex clerical accounting work in the printing, preparation, verification, posting, reconciliation, storage and maintenance of tax returns, maintains and makes changes to taxpayers' accounts, performs routine public contact to provide taxpayers with assistance and information.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Vision of the Finance Department is to be good stewards of public resources and trust by providing timely, accurate, and professional financial services. We will do this through the delivery of innovative, professional, effective and efficient finance solutions and exceptional customer service while maintaining financial integrity, sustainability and transparency.
With a Mission to provide a financially strong and well managed city, the Finance Department consists of 5 divisions:
- Tax & Licensing
- Marijuana Enforcement
- Controller's Office
- Debt & Treasury Administration
- Office of Budget & Financial Planning
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prints, prepares, inputs, reconciles, and posts complex tax returns
- Ensures data integrity of taxpayers' accounts
- Makes and documents changes to taxpayers' accounts
- Composes and keys routine correspondence
- Interacts with a variety of departments
- Responds to and educates taxpayers on sales, use, lodgers, and occupational privilege tax processing
- Handles routine customer service, correspondence, and adjustment transactions pertaining to sales, use, lodgers, and occupational privilege taxes
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2 years of clerical experience
- 1 year of clerical accounting
- 1 year of public contact (customer service)
- Previous coursework in Business, Accounting, Public Administration, or directly related field
- Prior experience in billing, collections, processing revenue or related field
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand Spanish
Licenses and Certifications:
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a 40 pounds with or without assistance
- Daily lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Hand/eye coordination to operate computer and related equipment
- Vision to read legal descriptions and review drawings
- Speech and hearing to maintain communications with other employees and citizens
- Works in a clean, comfortable customer servcice environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
- Fingerprinting kit
For Veterans preferance: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. This position may also require a credit check.