Trades Technician - Fleet
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.The hiring range for this position is $48,204.00 - $57,781.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $48,204.00 - $67,357.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure.
The Fleet Division of the Public Works department is seeking a qualified Trades Technician to perform routine preventive maintenance, diagnostic and repair work on vehicles and equipment.The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs repair and maintenance on vehicles and equipment
- Inspect, diagnose and repair all automotive and equipment electronic and mechanical systems
- Performs diagnosis using electronic scanners, computer and vehicle/equipment tools and/or software
- Performs new unit prep and equipment installation
- Repair or rebuild component systems in automotive and specialized equipment
- Reads complex electrical and hydraulic schematics using diagnostic flow charts
- Responds to emergency service calls
- Maintains vehicle history records, parts inventory records and daily labor
- Perform other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- At least 2 years progressively responsible experience as a mechanic in a related area with responsibility for a large mixed fleet and experience with vehicles under 15,000 GVW preferred
- A wide variety of electrical, hydraulic, pumping, fuel and mechanical systems
- Maintenance and repair tools and equipment
- Standard safety regulations and procedures associated with the assigned tasks
- Standard computer systems and software applications
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Accurately diagnose, identify and repair related potential or existing problems
- Perform basic math computations; maintain related records
- Read and interpret detailed instructions and diagrams
- Provide and maintain necessary hand tools to perform the assigned tasks
- Perform assigned tasks in all weather conditions
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES REQUIRED:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certifications required within one year
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy work lifting no more than 100 pounds (with or without assistance) at a time
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Regular walking and standing
- Frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling
- Considerable eye/hand/foot coordination to operate tools and automotive equipment as well as for driving equipment and vehicles
- Vision to read manuals, gauges and meters
- Speech and hearing to receive and provide technical information and instructions
- Works in an automotive shop/yard with frequent time spent outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Regular exposure to dust, noise and fumes related to automotive repair
- Standard business and professional equipment and tools including computers with applicable diagnostic and records management applications
- Drives vehicles and equipment in and out of shop
- Uses tools and equipment related to heavy equipment and vehicle repair
- This position requires the incumbent to supply their own tools
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.___________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of the most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.