Traffic Signal Specialist
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure. The Traffic Division is responsible for daily operation and maintenance of traffic control devices such as traffic signals, traffic control signs. and pavement markings.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-served basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors and inspects equipment and systems to determine the need for repair
- Analyzes malfunctions and makes repairs or adjustments
- Coordinates, monitors and/or performs installation of solid state and mechanical equipment and systems used in traffic control
- Checks equipment for proper operation
- Schedules and performs preventive maintenance
- Designs and fabricates equipment parts as necessary
- Monitors and oversees contract work
- May operate computerized control and monitoring systems
- Maintains records of operation, maintenance, and repairs
- Prepares related reports
- Maintains inventory of parts and supplies
- Trains subordinate employees as appropriate
- Shall act as a lead worker
- Work overtime, standby and/or call back duty
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in traffic signal equipment maintenance function
- Knowledge of practices, procedures, equipment, and systems related to traffic control maintenance function
- Applicable safety practices and procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Read and comply with blueprints, diagrams, schematics, manuals, and specifications
- Maintain records, logs, and reports
- Instruct and train other employees
- Perform physical activities common to maintenance work
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment in traffic signal equipment maintenance function
Licenses and Certifications:
- IMSA Associate Traffic Signal Technician-Level I and either IMSA Traffic Signal Electrician-Level II or IMSA Traffic Signal Technician-Level II
- Valid Colorado CDL Class B License with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 100 pounds with assistance
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Considerable walking and standing; frequent pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Considerable hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of heavy equipment and vehicles
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
- Vision to read gauges and instructions and operate equipment
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, and chemicals. Some work may be performed in confined spaces
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- Operates heavy equipment common to maintenance and construction
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.