Water Conservation Inspector
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.The hiring range for this position is $56,538.00 - $69,210.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $56,538.00 - $81,883.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Department
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The Aurora Water department is seeking a Water Conservation Inspector to serve as a self-starter who enjoys engaging with customers and contractors. This position offers a seasonal mix of office and outdoor work while holding the responsibility of customer compliance with city ordinances. As a liaison to multiple city departments, candidates for this position must have excellent communication and customer service skills.This job posting is scheduled to close on June 16th at 5:00PM.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform residential irrigation and soil amendment inspections for compliance with code
- Perform non-single-family irrigation inspections to ensure they conform to approved plans
- Coordinate meetings with contractors to promote and educate on Aurora’s standards
- Track inspection progress in city platform
- Teach conservation education classes
- Assist with Aurora Water Management Plan violation investigations
- Respond to water conservation and landscape questions and inquiries
- Act as liaison to contractor community
- Assist with Commercial, Industrial and Institutional sector Indoor Water Assessments and Use Analysis
- Additional job duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or GED
- Associate's degree in irrigation construction or related field preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in irrigation construction practices
- At least 1 year of experience in customer service
- At least 2 years of experience in reading construction document level irrigation plans
- Experience in water conservation or related field
- A general knowledge of water-wise landscape principles
- Experience in irrigation design
- Knowledge of water conservation methodologies, Colorado or western water issues
- Knowledge of conflict management and communication strategies for interacting with the public
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Ability to stay self-motivated and on-task
- Must exhibit strong customer service skills, interpersonal communications and collaboration skills
- Must be proficient at Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be proficient at time management and planning for task efficiency
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Colorado driver’s license with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light physical work requiring ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing as well as activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, and pulling
- Hand-eye and hand-foot coordination for driving a vehicle
- Vision to read manuals; speech and hearing to communicate with employees and citizens
- A mix of indoor and outdoor work in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust and fumes. Driving for long periods of time and performing inspections.
- Personal computer; cell phone; motor vehicle; tools and equipment common to irrigation construction
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.___________________________________________________________________
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of the most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.