Water Heavy Equipment Operator
- Summary of Job Duties
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health. They are seeking a qualified Water Heavy Equipment Operator to perform complex skilled work and related duties in the operation of heavy mechanized equipment to construct, repair, and maintain City water utilities and related systems.
**Anticipated work hours for this position are: 7:15 am - 3:45 pm
Applicants must be available to work overtime, be on call back duty, and be on standby with a forty-five minute response time.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- An annual bonus up to $500 (paid in December if eligibility criteria is met) for individuals whose job requirement is to maintain a CDL
- Boot (steel toe or other safety toe boots are required) allowance in the amount of $150.00 after successful completion of your introductory period and then yearly on your anniversary date
- The Aurora Water Department will provide uniforms shortly after you start
- The Aurora Water Department will provide all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (besides steel/safety toe boots)
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates heavy equipment such as backhoes, hydro-hammers, cranes, large loaders, dozers, and conveyer loaders, performs tasks such as patching, grading, hauling material, pipeline excavation and backfill, and snow removal
- Services, maintains, and makes minor mechanical adjustments and minor repairs on assigned equipment
- May act as lead-worker and may assist in training other employees in equipment operation
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years required experience with the installation and repair of water transmission/distribution, collection or storm water systems
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in the operation of excavation and trenching heavy equipment, preferably with in-house experience in the discipline (IE Water, wastewater or storm water)
- Working knowledge of heavy equipment operation and maintenance
- Knowledge of safety practices common to the operation and maintenance of heavy equipment
- Ability to understand and follow complex instructions relative to job assignment
- Perform strenuous physical work
- Assign and monitor the work of other employees in a lead worker capacity
- Ability to work overtime, call back duty, and standby with a forty-five minute response time
- Skill in the operation of heavy equipment.
Licenses and/or Certificates required:
- Colorado Class A Commercial Driver's License with a good driving record
- Class II Distribution or a Class II Collection
- Qualified candidates may be allowed department specified time frame to obtain required certifications and/or CDL license
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Frequently lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Considerable hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of heavy equipment and vehicles
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
- Vision to read gauges and instructions and operate equipment
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, and chemicals
- Some work may be performed in confined spaces
- Operates heavy equipment common to maintenance and construction.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.