Water Resource Specialist
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovative workspaces
Aurora Water is committed to enhancing and protecting the quality of life for Aurora citizens by providing safe, dependable and sustainable water, sewer and stormwater services, today and in the future. The Public Relations division of Aurora Water is looking for a Natural Resources Senior Specialist for it's Education team. This position requires flexibility, adaptability, a willingness to learn new skills and a person who is collaborative and organized with a strong sense of environmental ethics.
This position is located in our Rocky Ford office:
17850 County Road, JJ Rocky Ford, CO 81067
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come. first-serve basis. As soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the administration, adjudication, protection, acquisition or development of City water rights, related infrastructure and storage facilities as well as the scheduling of appropriate raw water deliveries
- Provide or assist in technical studies of new water supply, water resources development, or existing structure rehabilitation projects
- Conduct water resources, water rights, and water supply related analysis, engineering, research, studies, and investigations
- Provide research, analysis, and assistance in support of Division activities
- Gather field data or research data for assigned projects
- Assist in groundwater monitoring programs including drilling, permitting and monitoring activities
- Maintain or assist in the development of sophisticated databases and database applications related to raw water system operations
- Prepare raw water system status reports
- Provide technical support for new raw water supplies acquisitions
- Provide professional and technical work related to the planning, development, and operation of City raw water supply and storage facilities
- Assist with land management projects and needs
- Maintain records
- Coordinate and provide support for interactions with other governmental agencies, stakeholder groups, and water providers; and for projects with consultants, government agencies and other stakeholders
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Duties and responsibilities require travel within the State of Colorado with occasional out-of-town overnight stays or evening working hours.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate's Degree in water resources, water resource management, watershed science, civil engineering, hydrology, geo-hydrology, geology, natural resources, environmental sciences, or other directly related field
- 2 years of experience related to the area of assignment
A combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements on a year for year basis.
- Bachelor's Degree in water resources, water resource management, watershed science, hydrology, geo-hydrology, geology, civil engineering, natural resources, environmental sciences, or directly related field
- Experience in Colorado specific water resources work
- Ability to work without constant supervision
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving record, required
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Light physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination to operate a computer and related equipment; speech and hearing to maintain communications with other employees
- Vision to read and review construction plans and drive
- Works primarily indoors; some work outdoors to gather field data
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- Motor vehicle, computer, and water measurement equipment related to assigned duties.
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.______________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.