Water Treatment Operator
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Department
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
This is a repost and will remain open until filled, if you have applied or interviewed for this position within the last 12 months, please DO NOT RE-APPLY.
**This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions and will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants is obtained. **
BECOME A LEADER WITH THE INDUSTRY LEADER
Aurora Water, located in colorful Colorado, prides itself on having top-level staff members in all positions. We are recruiting high-quality treatment operators to fill vacancies created by retiring operators, and by those who have advanced to higher level positions. We are seeking Class A or B operators (or equivalents) that are innovative and excited to operate the industry's most advanced treatment processes, and can share our passion for treatment and tenacity for quality.
All three of Aurora Water's drinking water facilities have earned the Partnership for Safe Water's Phase IV "Excellence in Water Treatment" designation. This accomplishment is unique in the water industry and demonstrates Aurora Water's commitment to water quality, optimization, staff development, quality maintenance, and continuous improvement as part of our culture.
Colorado is a great place to live, and our mission at Aurora Water is to promote a healthy work-life balance. Operators receive excellent benefits including competitive salaries, a stable fixed-benefit pension plan, additional pay for Class A or B certifications, and tuition reimbursement. For those who seek to advance in their career, Aurora Water supports professional growth and leadership development through succession planning and training.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for overseeing work performed on an assigned shift and ensures treated water quality surpasses all State, Federal, and Water Department standards
- Monitors raw and treated water flows, adjusts flows and pumping rates as needed
- Mixes chemicals and conducts quality tests on raw and treated water
- Keeps records of chemicals used and tests performed
- May develop, monitor, and implement a process control plan for plant operation using manual and computerized systems
- Maintains, inspects, troubleshoots, reports, and performs maintenance and repair of plant equipment
- May maintain plant facility and grounds
- Maintains plant security
- Prepares daily, weekly, and monthly reports of plant performance and responds to questions, problems, and complaints concerning water quality or service
- Trains and instructs staff in plant maintenance and operation activities and ensures use of proper safety equipment and procedures
- Ensures cleanliness of assigned areas and proper storage of equipment and supplies
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associate's Degree in water technology or water quality management preferred
- At least four (4) years progressively responsible experience working in a water treatment facility
- Including at least two (2) years experience working in a Class A/B water treatment plant installing, maintaining, and operating equipment
- Comprehensive knowledge of safety practices and requirements of a water treatment plant
- Knowledge of chemistry, microbiology, mathematics, and hydrology
- Knowledge of pumps, valves, motors, filters, backflow prevention devices, piping, and plumbing structures
- Knowledge of chemical analysis and testing techniques
- Personal computers including spreadsheet and word processing software applications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Perform mathematical computations
- Perform chemical, physical, and biological control analysis, corrosion control and cross-connection control
- Work without close supervision
- Direct the work of other employees
- Work shifts and nights; and work overtime, standby, and/or callback duty
- Skill in the use of personal computers including word processing and spreadsheet software applications
Licenses and/or Certificates required:
- Colorado Water Treatment Plant Operators Class A or B Certificate required
- Or the ability to obtain required certification within Aurora Water Department guidelines
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate physical work requiring the ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds repetitively, with or without assistance
- Regular lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Regular walking and standing to monitor control room and treatment plant operations
- Pushing, pulling, and climbing to check system equipment; hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard and treatment plant controls
- Foot/eye coordination for operation of a motor vehicle
- Vision to read and interpret written reports and control room gauges
- Speech communications for communication with employees and citizens
- Hearing and listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works primarily indoors in a treatment plant facility with exposure to noise, dust, chemicals, and fumes; some outdoor work
- Operates treatment plant equipment, computer, and motor vehicles
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.