Water Treatment Superintendent
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Department
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the City's water and reuse treatment functions and personnel through subordinate supervisors
- Monitors operation and maintenance of water treatment plants and reuse treatment plant to ensure water quality meets or exceeds State and Federal standards
- Serves as project manager for new construction projects
- Plans future projects
- Prepares for probable changes in Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, and other regulations and assesses impact
- Supervises system utilization, preventive maintenance, and safety programs
- Monitors and reviews treatment plant documentation for State and Federal compliance
- Makes presentations
- Represents the department at meetings and on committees
- Develops and proposes operational policies
- Prepares and monitors program budget, including expenditures
- Assists in developing operational priorities, goals, and objectives
- Makes recommendations to the Manager regarding selecting, hiring, training, evaluation, and disciplining of assigned employees
- Makes recommendations on new and proposed construction
- Supervises assigned employees
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, or a directly related field
- At least five (5) years progressively responsible experience in water treatment operations
- At least two (2) years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of the methods, principles, and practices of water and reuse water treatment
- Equipment, machinery, and chemicals used in water treatment
- Financial management
- Strong interpersonal, decision making, and supervisory skills
- Good writing skills
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens, and elected officials
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives
- Direct and effectively supervise other employees
- Read and interpret plans, blueprints, standards, and specifications
- Class A Water Works Operator Certificate and Class D Waste Water Operator Certificate as issued by the State of Colorado
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Foot/eye coordination for operation of a motor vehicle for travel to remote sites
- Works primarily indoors in a treatment plant facility with exposure to noise, dust, chemicals, and fumes; some outdoor work
- Personal computer, motor vehicle
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies