Water Utility - Field Worker
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
*A state issued Motor Vehicle Report(MVR) is required at the time of submitting your application
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Completes computerized reading of residential and commercial water meters
- Operates mobile data collector and hand-held microcomputer to record meter readings and related information
- Repairs, programs, and replaces meters and/or transponders
- ?Performs cursory inspections of meters and meter pits
- Performs routine repair of meter pits and vaults
- Provides general information to the public, as needed
- May occasionally perform manual reading of water meters; and performs additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. The hiring department may include job related experience, training, education or license and certification preferences at the time of recruitment.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: At least 1 year customer service experience including personal computer experience. Prefer 6 months of fieldwork.
Knowledge: Knowledge of City geography. Working knowledge of computer operations and related software.
Abilities: Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; perform duties under general supervision; follow written and oral instructions; perform strenuous labor such as continuous kneeling, stooping, lifting, and walking for shift duration; make arithmetic computations. Ability to work overtime and call back duty.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES REQUIRED:
- A state issued Motor Vehicle Report(MVR) is required at the time of submitting your application
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED: This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
All selected candidates will be subject to the following pre-employment screening at the time of hire.
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening & Physical Exam
- Submittal of official transcripts of most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application
- Working Conditions
- Moderate to heavy physical work requiring ability to frequently lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Occasional moving objects weighing up to 80 pounds
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent bending, kneeling, crouching, stooping, pushing, pulling, and reaching to locate and read water meters
- Hand/eye coordination to operate hand held micro-computer and mobile data collector meter reading devices
- Foot/hand eye coordination to operate motor vehicle
- Vision to read meters and input data
- Speech communication for communication with employees and customers
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
Work Environment: Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, insects, and domestic animals. May be required to work in confined spaces.
The typical working hours are Monday - Friday, 7:15 AM - 3:30 PM.
Equipment Used: Operates specialized computers and mobile data collector meter reading devices; motor vehicle.