Water Utility Worker - Field Services
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- The Water Utility Worker - Field Services performs mobile water usage data collection through computerized meter reading to provide accurate billing and service information for customers of the Utilities Department for the City.
Aurora WaterAurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- Boot (steel toe or other safety toe boots are required) allowance in the amount of $150.00 after successful completion of your introductory period and then yearly on your anniversary date
- The Aurora Water Department will provide uniforms shortly after you start
- The Aurora Water Department will provide all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Completes computerized reading of residential and commercial water meters
- Operates mobile data collector and a hand-held microcomputer to record meter readings and related information
- Repairs, programs, and replaces meters and/or transponders
- Performs cursory inspections of meters and meter pits
- Performs the routine repair of meter pits and vaults
- Provides general information to the public, as needed
- May occasionally perform a manual reading of water meters
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- A minimum of 1-year of customer service experience including personal computer experience. Prefer 6 months of fieldwork
- Knowledge of City geography
- Working knowledge of computer operations and related software
- The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
Attention to Detail:
- The job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Perform duties under general supervision
- Follow written and oral instructions
- Perform strenuous labor such as continuous kneeling, stooping, lifting, and walking for shift duration; make arithmetic computations
- Ability to work overtime, call back duty, and standby with forty-five minute response time
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Skill in the use of ground maintenance equipment and the use of hand tools preferred
- Colorado Driver's license with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Heavy physical work; requires the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Requires frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing over 50 pounds, with assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequently performs activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of equipment and vehicles;
- Vision for reading gages and written instructions
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, odors, and fumes
- Some work may be performed in trenches and/or confined spaces
- Operates equipment and vehicles common to utilities maintenance functions.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.