Youth Nutrition Program Assistant
- Summary of Job Duties
The city of Aurora is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals for a career in the Recreation Division. The Youth Nutrition Program Assistant will help lead the city's sponsorship of the Summer Food Service Program, operating at indoor and outdoor locations throughout the city of Aurora.
This seasonal position will be from approximately April-August 2019
This is a continuous position and will be closed when all positions are filled.
Applications will be sent to the hiring Supervisor once a week for review.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Youth Nutrition Program Assistant is responsible for ensuring the Summer Food Program, which provides fresh, nutritious meals, as well as summer enrichment activities, is implemented for children under the age of eighteen, while also ensuring high quality customer service.
Essential duties include:
- Lead by example to ensure excellent customer service for youth and families participating in the program.
- Work closely with the Nutrition Recreation Specialist, other city staff, and community partners to successfully launch and maintain the Summer Food Service Program, with meal service occurring in the afternoon hours at multiple sites including outdoor pools, city recreation facilities, libraries and other sites throughout the city.
- Promote outreach to the community of this program and works to ensure it operates seamlessly, including training of staff and volunteers, and adhering to all State and Federal regulations.
- Assist in the daily inventory, set-up and distribution, and site clean-up of meals that are delivered by an outside food vendor.
- Oversee assigned Meal Site supervisors to ensure they have all resources necessary to operate, are following all program guidelines, and are creating a meal space that is welcoming to all children.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in Nutrition, Health, or a related field
- At least 1 year general clerical experience
- Customer service experience (Preferred)
- Experience working with children (Preferred)
- Knowledge of business, spelling, and basic math; general office equipment and personal computers and related software applications.
- Organizational and communication skills
- Fluency in both English and Spanish (Preferred)
Licenses, Certificates Required:
- Current and valid driver's license.
- On-site training required.
- Reliable transportation to work sites is required.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Primarily physical and active work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds
- Frequent and repetitive lifting, carrying, walking and standing to implement program and conduct activities
- Vision for reading, recording and interpreting information
- Frequent speech communication with fellow employees, City of Aurora, and Aurora citizens.
- Must have the ability to participate and lead physical enrichment activities with children in an outdoor setting.
- Works primarily outdoors at city-owned pools, recreation facilities, public buildings and/or parks.
______________________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- May use standard office equipment including, computers, calculators, copy/fax machines
- May answer telephone.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.